TikTok is the fastest growing global destination for short-form mobile videos among Gen Z and millennial audiences. The visual app – which allows users to create and share a 15-60 second video with music, effects, and built-in filters – has shaken up the marketing world with its extraordinary virality reaching over 500 million active global users. AUDIENCEX is happy to announce that we are now able to run campaigns on TikTok, along with the many other social media platforms available.
TikTok Audience Breakdown
TikTok has 27MM monthly active users in the United States. 85% of those users are under 35, meaning Gen Z and Millennial. 69% are 13 – 24, and 31% are 25+. When it comes to gender, the TikTok users are approximately 60% Female and 40% Male.
The average user spends 40 minutes per day on the platform. For GenZ, they spend an average of 34 minutes per day, versus 44 minutes per day for millennials. The most fascinating stat about TikTok is that the average user opens the app 9 times each day.
TikTok Ad Targeting
Ads can be targeted based on interests, demographics, location, and technology on TikTok. Here are more details on targeting segments available:
- Interest-Based: Beauty, Food, Travel, etc.
- Custom: Target list, Block List, Lookalike
- Age: 13 – 17, 18 – 24, 25 – 34, 35 – 44, 45 – 54, 55+
- Gender: Male & Female
- Location: US, JP, IN
- no zip/postal targeting but city targeting is available in some countries
- Carrier: provider in each country above
- Operating SystemL iOS, Android
- Network Type: Wifi, 4G, 3G, 2G
TikTok has the ability to track several different types of actions that they call events, which are broken down into different categories. These events include:
- App Downloads
- Details Page Browse: A user browses the details page of your app store
- Button Click: A user clicks a button to download an app
- Download Button Click: A user jumps to an external browser and starts to download an app package
- Custom Events
- Page browse: A user browses a certain page
- Button click: A user clicks a certain button on a page
- Online Consultation: A user chats for consultation on your website
- Details Page Browse: A user browses a details page with a consultation entry
- Button Click: A user clicks a consultation contact button
- Form Submission
- Details Page Browse: A user browses the details of a form submission
- Button Click: A user clicks a button to submit a form
- Form Submission: A user completes a form submission
- eCommerce Events
- User registration: A user registers on your website
- Product details page browse: A user browses merchandise
- Add to cart: A user selects and adds an item to the shopping cart
- Place an order: A user submits an order
- Complete payment: A user completes a purchase
- Consultation Events
- Details Page Browse (Consultation): A user browses a details page with a consultation entry.
- Button Click (Consultation): A user clicks a consultation contact button.
- Consultation: A user starts to chat on your website for consultation.
While there are lots of benefits of this new and exciting platform, TikTok also has some limitations, including:
Forecasting is limited to a single gauge, with no details related to size or pricing. Red indicates an audience that is too narrow, while dark blue indicates one that is too broad.
The TikTok pixel currently only records single session conversions, which means the user must click on the ad and complete the conversion within the same session. If they do so, a conversion is attributed to TikTok. If the user leaves and comes back later through a browser, the conversion is not attributed to TikTok.
Based on that, TikTok highly recommends optimizing toward upper-funnel conversions such as Add to Cart. The implication here is that the methodology increasingly understates conversion volume as the conversion cycle lengthens.
Get Started with Your First TikTok Campaign
With a variety of ad formats, event tracking options, and targeting capabilities, TikTok is a great option for advertisers looking to reach younger audiences. In the wake of the current pandemic and economic strain, the social platform is currently running a promotion for eligible SMB clients where they can receive a $300 ad credit for opening an account and a 1:1 match of up to $2,000 in ad spend.
Interested in getting started with your first TikTok campaign, but not sure where to begin? Contact us to connect with one of our paid social media experts who will help you expand your presence across social platforms with a strategic TikTok campaign.